Police FAQs

How do I report a crime?

In order to report a crime in Madison you need to contact the police department at 696-5373 or via the Somerset Communications Center. The Somerset Communications ("Comm") Center can be reached via phone at 474-6386. This is the method used for most types of (non-emergency) calls, which require an officer to respond. Remember that the Madison Police Department only has jurisdiction in the Town of Madison and can only handle incidents that occurred within Madison’s limits. For incidents which have occurred outside of the Town of Madison, you need to speak with the agency having Jurisdiction in that area; if you're not sure who the appropriate agency is, the comm center can guide you to the correct agency.

For emergency calls, you can dial 9-1-1 from your telephone. Emergency calls include any type of crime where life or property is in danger. These include, but are not necessarily limited to, fires and/or smoke in a building, calls for emergency medical services (EMS), fights in progress, and car accidents. You may also dial 9-1-1 from your cellular telephone.

What are the hours of operation of the Police Department?

The Madison Police Department is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to serve the residents and visitors of the Town of Madison. The office is open during normal business hours, from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Requests for accident and police reports should be made during business hours.

How do I make contact with the Animal Control Officer (ACO)?

The Town of Madison contracts with an Animal Control Officer (ACO) to cover concerns with domestic animals. To contact the ACO, you must call the Madison Division of the Sheriff's Office at 696-5373 and describe the nature of the problem. The dispatcher will take your name, number, and address and then page the ACO on your behalf. The ACO will then contact you directly and make arrangements with you regarding the issue.

How do I obtain a Concealed Firearms Permit?

The State of Maine does not require owners of guns to register them. It should be noted, however, that there are laws that prohibit the concealment of firearms. Madison residents who own firearms or who routinely transport firearms for recreational or self-defense purposes can apply for a concealed firearms permit. Applications for concealed firearms permits are done through the Chief's Office, although the application can be picked up at any time.

How do I obtain a copy of an incident or an accident report?

To obtain a copy of a police report (incident or accident), you may do so in person during regular office hours or submit a letter of request with a self-addressed envelope and the required fee. These should be requested during normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM). There is a fee of $5 for the first page of the report and $1 for each page thereafter on all incident reports. Accident reports are available for a flat fee of $10.

How do I obtain my criminal record history?

If you need to obtain a copy of your criminal record contact the State Bureau of Investigation in Augusta. They can be reached at 624-7240.

How do I request a property check?

The Madison Police Department provides property checks if your residence is going to be vacant for an extended period of time (vacation, etc.) You may request a property check. Property check forms can be picked up at the police department.

I have locked myself out of my vehicle; can the police department help me?

The Madison Police Department does not have the ability to unlock a vehicle if you have accidentally locked your keys in the vehicle. You need to call a wrecker service of your choice.

What is the winter parking ban for the Town of Madison?

The Town of Madison has a winter parking ban which runs from November 1st through April 1st. Vehicles may not be parked on any public way from midnight to 6:00 AM.

What do I do if I need to be finger printed for my new job?

The Police Department does provide non-criminal fingerprinting services. Reasons for these requests generally include employment application, child adoption, travel out of the country, etc. To save time, please call ahead.

How to Obtain a Protection Order (PO)?

The police department does not issue protection from abuse or protection from harassment orders. These must be obtained at the District Court, which is located at 47 Court Street, Skowhegan, Maine.

How do I pay for my parking ticket?

If you've received a parking ticket in the Town of Madison, you can pay it by mail or in person. If possible you should include the ticket, or at a minimum, the ticket number, name of the registered owner of the vehicle, license plate number and payment. Checks should be made out to the "Town of Madison." It is suggested that cash not be sent in the mail. Mail correspondence to: P O Box 190, Madison, ME 04950.

What do I do if I received a "Bad Check" (NSF checks, closed accounts)?

A "bad check" is a check that is written on a closed account, or has insufficient funds to cover the amount of the check. All bad check cases need to have a "bad check" report completed. This report can be picked up at the Madison Police Department and outline all the instructions that need to be included. In order for the police department to handle such a case, the check must have been passed in Madison, regardless of where the recipient or the person who wrote the check resides. If the check was passed in another town, that agency will have jurisdiction of the matter.

Event Calendar

July 2024
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Newsletter Sign-up